Saturday 13 June 2015

Savoury Seed Straws


Hello lovelies! Firstly, I want to apologise for not posting anything in so long! Hopefully I should be getting back to that more now that the summer is on its way! :)


This is a recipe that I have done quite a few times but never got right and just how I wanted..until yesterday! Hooray! *Pulls confetti* 

Some people's taste buds are more sweet than savoury, and others' are more savoury than sweet. Personally, I fit better into the savoury category. But I'm sure you can agree with me in the fact that we all have those times when we favour one category over the other. And for those times when you need something more savoury-these straws are the answer.

Firstly, I love how the paprika and cayenne compliment the salt and mustard perfectly-and give it that extra something. And this is a GREAT way to get seeds into you if you're not the biggest fan or just are simply stuck with what things you can do with them. Secondly, they are gluten free (as far as I know) so if you generally try to stay away from gluten, these are a definite thumbs up!

The nutritional yeast is also marvellous if you want to get some extra vitamin B12 into you, although it isn't necessary. Nutritional yeast has a nutty/cheesy taste and is ideal for when you follow a plant based diet.

PRINT THIS RECIPE

Makes around 8-16 straws

Ingredients:

130g GF Plain Flour (I used Doves Farm which I really like)
130g Brown Rice Flour
1/4 tsp Himalayan Pink or Sea Salt
4 tsp GF Baking Powder (I used Doves Farm)
140g Dairy Free Margarine (I like the brand Pure)
A pinch of cayenne pepper and paprika -As much as is desired
1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast (Optional)
1 tbsp Brown Rice Syrup
5 tbsp Ice cold water and 5tbsp Soy Milk

Topping

1 tsp or tbsp Whole grain mustard (depending on taste)
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp Paprika
A combination of seeds that you like, I used poppy seeds, pumpkin, sunflower and linseed that I know of. A good idea would also be to buy a bag of mixed seeds from your local health shop or supermarket.

Method:

  1. Put the flours, salt, and baking powder in a food processor and pulse to mix. 
  2. Add the margarine, cayenne, paprika, brown rice syrup, and nutritional yeast, if using. Pulse again. 
  3. Add the water and soy milk and pulse until it begins to form together. Shape into a ball and put into the fridge wrapped in cling film to chill for up to an hour.
  4. Grease a baking tray and put the oven on at around 180C. Take the ball you put in earlier out of the fridge and cut into two halves. Roll each half out individually with a rolling pin and cut into 8 rectangular straw like pieces. Top tip: Be very careful at this point as they break up VERY easily. You may need to use something to lift them up onto the baking tray. 
  5. In a small bowl, mix your preferred amount of cayenne and paprika with mustard and 1 tsp water. And use a pastry brush to coat and infuse the straws with flavour evenly. Then sprinkle your seeds over.
  6. Once thats finished, put the tray in the oven for 10 minutes and it should be pretty easily to tell when they're ready.

Enjoy!


Thank you so much for taking the time to read today's post! 

If you enjoyed reading this or any of my other posts, subscribe to my blog to get each post delivered straight to your inbox. :)










No comments:

Post a Comment