Thursday 23 October 2014

Apple and Cinnamon Crumble


There's really nothing like the smell of apple and cinnamon baking in the oven is there? I could make this dish a million times and never get tired of it. Okay, maybe I would, but its such a simple thing to make and always a classic that everyone will love. The brilliant thing about crumbles is you can make it so many ways. Apple crumble, plum crumble, rhubarb crumble, and even cherry. The options are endless. And you can make it as healthy or unhealthy as you like!

Today I made a basic apple crumble which I'm sure will be the first of many crumbles this season. I found myself making quite a few last year and I think I'll be making even more this year. If you fancy making some too here's the recipe I used today.

Serves 4

Ingredients:

For the crumble:
10 1/2oz plain flour
6oz brown sugar
7oz butter
For the filling:
2 large cooking apples
1/2oz brown sugar
A pinch of ground cinnamon (I use a little more because I really like cinnamon)

Method:
  1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees/350F/Gas4
  2. Pour the flour and sugar into a large bowl and mix together. Cut the butter into cubes and using a bit of butter at a time, rub into the flour mixture. Keep rubbing until the mixture becomes like breadcrumbs. Once done, put aside.
  3. Peel the apples with a knife or peeler and cut into 1cm/1/2inch pieces. Place the apples in a baking dish and sprinkle over the brown sugar and cinnamon, finishing off with the breadcrumbs.
  4. Place in the oven for 20-35 minutes, depending on your oven. Mine is very powerful so I left it in for 25 minutes and until golden brown. 
To make this recipe a little healthier, you could swap regular butter for vegan butter which works just the same and just reduce the amount of sugar used.

Enjoy! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment