Sunday 28 December 2014

Superfood Sunday: Cacao


Superfood Sunday is an idea that I came up with a month or two back, and has still stuck as one that I should put into action. The aim of Superfood Sunday is to educate people on various super foods and the nutritional benefits they offer. There are so many super foods available to us, but the problem is most of us don't know where to start. So every two or three weeks, I will be posting a different one and a short description or an "about section" shall we say.

My first superfood is cacao. And although cacao can be easily confused with cocoa powder, most commonly used for traditional baking, they are very different. Cacao is the raw unprocessed form of chocolate and is grown on small trees called "Theobrama cacao" and is native to Mexico, Central, and South America. After being harvested with care, the seeds from the trees undergo a natural fermentation and drying process. After the drying process is finished, raw cacao beans are the result.

Cacao has a much bitter flavour than cocoa and comes in lots of different forms: Cacao powder, cacao nibs, and cacao butter. All of which can be applied to a vegetarian/vegan/raw diet. As well as being a powerful antioxidant for the body, the benefits are endless. Some of which include

  • Lower blood pressure and improved circulation
  • Promoted cardiovascular health
  • Neutraliser for free radicals
  • Improved digestion
  • Enhanced physical and mental wellbeing
  • Antidepressant

I must admit, of all the super foods, cacao is probably my favourite of them all. As soon as I've had it I feel happier and healthier. Try it in my warming hot chocolate recipe made with all natural ingredients. It might surprise you!

What superfood/s would you like to see next? Comment below or tweet me with the hashtag Superfood Sunday :)

Emily X



No comments:

Post a Comment