Thursday 5 February 2015

Review: Dee's Vegan Sausages

I first came across Dee's foods when me and my mum were shopping on Ocado a few weeks ago as they were on offer and were a brand we'd never heard of before so we thought we'd order a couple packs of her sausages and give them a go. As vegans it is a wonderful thing when we find new brands and healthy alternatives we like, as it can be pretty boring if we find ourselves eating a lot of the same things all the time. Dee is a nutritionist and first started her business at a farmers market which for starters, I really admire. Her foods are all free from meat, wheat, soy, eggs, gluten, artificial additives, palm oil, and nasty GMO's and made from the best quality natural and organic ingredients. All of which is a winning combination in my eyes.

Needless to say we really enjoyed them and despite some of the other negative reviews on Ocado, thought they were brilliant. Unfortunately we enjoyed them so much that they were all gone within a few days (oops!) and I said to myself that I would write a review sometime soon on my blog because I believe Dee's Wholefoods is a brand that likeminded people should know exists. I'm not too keen on her burgers as I am the sausages, but it might just be because of the ingredients and flavours that were used. I don't like to be negative at all but I do think that the burgers needed a bit extra flavour and seasoning, and I didn't find them that appetising. If I were to give feedback I would say that these things would definitely need to be changed.

Leek & Onion, and Coriander, Pepper & Ginger


Now onto the review. For starters, I love the packaging, the colours and fonts used really appeal to me and give me the impression that what I am about to eat is actually going to do me good and I'm not going to feel rubbish afterwards. The sausages are wrapped in a vegan casing made of rice flour and they have quite a different texture to a lot of other veggie/vegan sausages on the market. Personally I find it refreshing to have found a different take on veggie sausages that aren't the same to all the rest but thats just me. Other members of the family weren't so keen but I do think they are nice, not the best I've ever eaten, but nice. They are quite light so you could probably have 2-3 with some veggies and beans or something on your plate and you wouldn't leave the table feeling all horrible. In one pack you get six sausages and the price in my opinion is a bit too much money and they wouldn't be something we'd buy every week. Only occasionally for a treat. 

When cooking, because of the texture, they are quite prone to crumbling in the pan and matters are made worse if you miss out heating the pan up on a low heat first before you try to cook but as long as you have the pan heated up before you start cooking them they'll be okay. So overall these are really quite nice sausages that are definitely worth a try as everyone is different and although one person who tries them may not like them another might.

Emily X






1 comment:

  1. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative.. Vegan box of chocolates

    ReplyDelete